Moving to Finland paperwork

Hi everyone,

First things first, I am an EU citizen and I have a contract with my employer that starts in September.

So, I will be moving to Finland in August to look for an apartment l. This is where I hit my first barrier. It seems that viewing a flat requires verification of my identity via a bank account. The problem is that obtaining a bank account needs a proof of address and id number.

Obviously, someone did not tell me the whole story. My dirst question is: do I really need a bank account to rent an apartment?

Also, my employer told me that I will need a residence permit, and that I do not need to live in Finland to apply for it and that it takes weeks to be processed. Now, the application (https://enterfinland.fi/eServices/info/europeancitizens) asks for an address in Finland. So, my second question is: is there any way I can apply using either my work address or the address of the hotel I will be staying?

Just to clarify, I want to apply before movong to Finland because because I want to finish with the paperwork as soon as possible. The reason is that my employer told me that I need to have finished with registration, tax card, and Kela in the first two weeks of my employment, otherwise my my salary will be taxed with a higher rate.

Cheers,

D

First: You are eu-citizen so you do not need a residence permit, only eu-registration.  You need Finnish ID for home insurance which is requested when you move to the flat.

@Marja Thanks for the reply. You are right. But still, in order to even view an apartment everyone asks for application, and the application can only be processed if I can identify myself using Finnish ID number. Lumo in particular asks identification using a bank, which is even harder to obtain. I have looked at every website I could find, and I have contacted more people than I care to count, and the story is always the same; you need ID number to apply.

I have applied for EU registration using a temporary address, and booked an appointment to verify my identity at an immigration office. I hope to get an ID number as soon as possible after that.

You do not need always Finnish ID. I know because I have helped people 25 years with relocation.  You do not get Finnish ID from Migri. It is DVV.

@Marja It would seem reasonable to just ask for references or proof of income, but I have not found anyone renting without ID number. I would appreciate any pointers as to where to look for a flat without ID.

Also, my employer told me that the personal ID number is issued with the certificate of registration. Do I have to book for a separate appointment to DVV?

Also, is the certificate issued when I visit the immigration point to prove my identity or it takes time?