Are down payments in rental before a contract normal?

Hello everyone, I am looking for an apartment in rotterdam and an agency asked for a down payment so that the landlord can accept or reject us and money will be refunded unless we cancel. I viewed this apartment personally, I sent them documents and after a few weeks they requested some more that I forgot to send and later they accepted us and now it is up to the landlord to accept us. But they're asking For 500 euros down-payment. The company is called Youspace.nl they seem legit but it is still a very sketchy practice. Any advice?

Hello Sergiu120,

Thank you for starting this new thread to ask your questions.

While waiting for members of this forum to shed some light on his situation, I invite you to read the Living in Rotterdam guide for expats > Accommodation in Rotterdam.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expt.com team

Hi- thanks for your question. I don't really have any specifics on this, but I think asking for a non-trivial amount of money before there's a contractual relationship does sound sketchy. I know there's some apartment advice sites/orgs out there that might be able to give you more concrete advice (I wasn't able to find ones specifically in Rotterdam, but google might help you) - there's also legal aid organizations, just as Juridisch Loket, who has a section on their website regarding residential law. Good luck!