Eligible work on a Student Visa

Hello - I will be moving to Ireland this fall to begin full-time doctoral studies and I'm trying to understand what work/occupations I am eligible for on a student visa.

I am an American citizen and will be on a student visa. To support my studies, I would like to work part-time while in Ireland. There is the possibility I may be able to get part-time work on campus, but until that is confirmed, I want to explore other employment options. I am also aware that there is a 20hr per week limit (during the normal school year).

Some people I have spoken with have made it seem rather easy - just find any part-time (under 20hr per week) job.

Others I've spoken to have said that there are only specific jobs and industries that you can work for while on an Irish student visa.

If anyone has information for me, I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The answer to your question can be found on the Citizens Information website; this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

Thank you for the response, but this still isn't clear. Can you help me understand this a bit more?

The link you've provided says that those on a student VISA can work up to 20hrs of "casual employment".

citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/types_of_employment.html seems to suggest that "casual employment" is different from part-time employment. Casual employment does not have set hours or the work is on a stand-by basis.

I'm trying to figure out how I will know what jobs I am eligible for? If it is indeed only "casual work" this would suggest that I'm not able to apply for a regular (under 20hrs per week) part-time position.

If you have any more insight, please share! Thank you! 1f600.svg

Hi again.

Irish law defines these matters.  Again, the Irish Citizens information website has the details, this link will take you straight to it.  My advice is that you read all of it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team