Long stay visa for France

I would like to know how long is take for having an appointment and the visa for a long stay visa for France as an American citizen? Thank you.

d

I would like to know how long is take for having an appointment and the visa for a long stay visa for France as an American citizen? Thank you.
-@kro290594

All the information can be found here.

They don't say how long is take to have the visa

Everything in France takes a long..., very long time. France is the master of paperwork. France is the number 1 country in the world with the most paperwork. For example, wife and I are French-born, after 40-plus years of living in the US, back in France. To re-establish our French rights health department etc... It took us 2 and a half year of filing tons of paperwork. It took four months to be able to open a bank account. so much that my wife had nightmares of invading green men holding garbage cans full of files to fill. so much that we have decided to go back to the US. Good luck to all of you if you need any documents from the French.

Everything in France takes a long..., very long time. France is the master of paperwork. France is the number 1 country in the world with the most paperwork.
-@partoutati

You obviously not lived in Austria because they love their paperwork.

Once your file is complete you need to book an appointment at a local VFS center (in the US this is subcontracted to VFS). Then from the day of appointment it's usually a couple of weeks but this can vary from a couple of days to almost a month (hence why you can't apply if you're less than 1 month ahead of the intended arrival date).

So from the day of the appointment I would say on average a couple of weeks.

By the way, don't forget to source medical insurance as it's a mandatory requirement and it's often overlooked whilst it's an important reason for visa rejection so make sure you seek insurance with insurers or brokers that are used to be dealing with visas in the EU. Brokers like  *** for example.

Hope this helps?

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Auto promotion
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Australian male. Applied for my permanent visa( French spouse( in June last year). Came through on 2nd interview on 29/3. Didnt seem to take this long, for the same thing, 29 years ago.

Australian male. Applied for my permanent visa( French spouse( in June last year). Came through on 2nd interview on 29/3. Didnt seem to take this long, for the same thing, 29 years ago.
-@Robster OConnor

You mean long term residency permit? No such thing as a permanent visa and visas are not issued in the country they give permission to enter. They are issued in embassies or consulates abroad. Such sloppy language could mislead readers.

Thank you for your answer, it's a nightmare the french administration

I'm Yvonne a teacher in Ghana I'm applying for a permanent visa. Counting your your cooperation

Thank You

I have another question, does a big amount of saving money on an account it's enough to apply for this visa?

I have another question, does a big amount of saving money on an account it's enough to apply for this visa?
-@kro290594

Poster is supposedly an American. The language shows otherwise; it's neither native nor coherent. For a tourist visa to a Schengen country like France, having adequate money for the trip is relevant. But US citizens need no such visa. For long term residency as indicated by the earlier posts, a non-EU person needs a legal pathway to immigrate; usually through study, research, work or family reunion. No such thing as a general "long term" visa. Visas have a purpose attached and requirements. No possible answer about requirements without knowing the basis of the visa.

For a work visa one should line up a job and get the visa first. Working means making money and thus they don't need to know your assets. Similar if one is doing research that is paid. If one studies, they need to bring enough to cover expenses. The poster doesn't mention the basis for their potential immigration. That one can simply move long term to France without such a legal basis is not how it is done. And as a tourist one is limited to 90 out of 180 days.

Sounds like the poster wants a simple answer to a complex question based on a total misconcept about how immigration works.

@TominStuttgart a non-EU person needs a legal pathway to immigrate; usually through study, research, work or family reunion. No such thing as a general "long term" visa

Fortunately there is the option for a visitor long term visa for non EU citizens (like an US citizen) in France. Part of the requirements is to show proof of income which can be indeed a wage, some pension, interests on savings, rental income, etc.

Yes it can work, I'll simplify but they usually expect you to have the equivalent of minimum wage in France (roughly 1300e net per month) but if you only have savings then they'll expect you to be able to drawdown the equivalent from your savings. And as we all know savings tend to evaporate more quickly than income (simply because it's all available right away) the requirements for savings is more like 30k in liquidity for 12 months.

Hope that helps?

Thank you it's help me.

Can a non-EU citizen mother of an EEA National child live and work in France upon entry or does she need a long stay visa or resident permit to work before arrival?