The work culture in Mexico

Hello everyone,

As an expatriate, working in Mexico can present unique opportunities but also challenges. Discovering new communication styles, adapting to new cultural norms... working in Mexico can be both exciting and confusing.

Share your experience to better understand the work culture in Mexico and facilitate the professional adaptation of people who are wondering about it.

How would you define the work culture in Mexico?

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?

What made the biggest impression on you?

How did you fit into your team?

Thank you for your contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com team

@Mickael  I closed my company a few years ago. I retired. For me it was not as good as I thought it would be.

Never had my own company but i found the Mexican workforce to be unreliable. Could never expect my workers to show up on time and unless I watched them constantly they would mess up rather than admit they didn't know something and come ask me how to do it.

Took them almost a year to finish building my house and in particular the cement work was sloppy. They just left cement drips on the floor until it was so hard we had to go back and chip it off.

However although the work ethic was not there, the price was right and I guess the fact that it is still standing after 15 years, says something

Never had my own company but i found the Mexican workforce to be unreliable. Could never expect my workers to show up on time and unless I watched them constantly they would mess up rather than admit they didn't know something and come ask me how to do it.
Took them almost a year to finish building my house and in particular the cement work was sloppy. They just left cement drips on the floor until it was so hard we had to go back and chip it off.
However although the work ethic was not there, the price was right and I guess the fact that it is still standing after 15 years, says something
-@rioesmarex

Wow can you be more insulting? And now I know you have been illegal in Mexico for 15 years. What happens when the new FMM system that is now working starts being used full time? And they refuse to let you back into Mexico because they now see your abusing the vacation visa?

I live here in Mexico as a full time resident.  I have had issues with appointments not being on time but was warned about that before I moved here so no big deal. But the work I have paid for has been super. Cleaning, moving, add on to my house have all been top quality. And at half or less the cost in the USA.

Wife and myself have had a few medical and dental procedures and again top Quality and low prices. Example I need botox for migraines and in the USA the VA paid 4K every 3 months for it. Here 285 usd for the same thing and he was honest and said I really didn't need it 4 times a year. And he was right 2x is enough. I the USA that doctor ripped off the VA because he could.

I have had better luck here than the USA from my experience.

I like am a permeant resident and had work done and was top notch. Everything that I have had done

was great and the people are great and willing to help you.

@MexicoAfterlife   Listen Dude. If you can't be more civil then you need to stay off this forum. The way I live here in Mexico ( 180 days Mex / 180 days US ) is perfectly legal, so with ex-pats like you, you're the one who needs to go back to the U.S.

@MexicoAfterlife  Listen Dude. If you can't be more civil then you need to stay off this forum. The way I live here in Mexico ( 180 days Mex / 180 days US ) is perfectly legal, so with ex-pats like you, you're the one who needs to go back to the U.S.
-@rioesmarex

LOL I'm a full time resident. Notice resident... Meaning I am legally living here. Vacation means short term look up the word in the dictionary.  I have given good and honest information on this forum and the Admins have the power to choose who is allowed to post here not you.

Those who ride or cross over the legal line act like you... Don't care till it catches up to them.  I was letting you know that they finished the INM data base and that they now see you come and go every 6 months.  So they know your not on vacation. And that some have been asked for hotel reservations to prove they were on vacation. Just because you don't like this doesn't make my comments not civil.

@MexicoAfterlife   You are so full of yourself.   You just don't get it do you. What I am doing every 6 months is perfectly legal. I am NOT on vacation. I have a house here. I LIVE here for 6 months every year. I pay my taxes just like everyone else, so once again, get off your high horse. Maybe  you are living full time in Mexico because you ran away from something in the U.S.

Anyway..... at the risk of being impolite, just shut up and fade away.

@MexicoAfterlife  You are so full of yourself.  You just don't get it do you. What I am doing every 6 months is perfectly legal. I am NOT on vacation. I have a house here. I LIVE here for 6 months every year. I pay my taxes just like everyone else, so once again, get off your high horse. Maybe you are living full time in Mexico because you ran away from something in the U.S.
Anyway..... at the risk of being impolite, just shut up and fade away.
-@rioesmarex

Well Mexico does a criminal background check on us who apply to live in Mexico so that takes the running because of a crime out of the picture.

I seem to have hit a button with you on this. It seems to me your not to comfortable with some thing your doing to get this upset so fast.

Let's be real.

With wages that allow the "Mexican Worker" the high life of rice and beans, and a revolution if the price of Maza  goes up, YOU too, would'nt give a hoot about your "job".

And even if you paid them double minimun wage, it ain't going to mean "jack" to their budgetary needs. 

@Johnny Earl

Let's see. The wages I pay for my cleaners is the same a engineering worker makes here in Mexico.  And cost are much cheaper to live here. If they made $15usd a hour here that is like $60usd in the USA.

Your comment is just plain degrading to the people of Mexico. Why are you even on these boards and if you do live here I feel for all the people who have to interact with you.

@MexicoAfterlife Degrading,

Discousure - I lived im Guad for 6 years in the mid to late 80s and my apartment was located among the locals - not a gringo conclavge. I also worked side by side with some Mexican friends-in some business ventures- without papers-because at least back then, the unspoken law was that it was "OK" as long as the gringo was working with Mexicans. I also speak a very respectable Spanish. ...oh, and I married mexican woman from Guad. Your ignorancde is shining thru already :-)

Now on with my response...

First, If do YOU not no what "Ni Modo" means in the context of mexican life, you are ignorant of the Mexican way of life and I am wasting my time in responding.

Second - I was telling the forum the one of the many resons why anyone would be a disgurtle worker

Third- You're right. the wages for most professions are crap, thats why there is the Super-Rich (check out mexico City) the VERY small middle class and then everyone else, THE Poor - thanks for supporting my post!

Fourth - Do you know what the mimimum wage is in Mexico? (I'll let you research that one on your own.) Do you know why so many family members live together - Because theur can't affors the rent on their own!!

Fifth - Do you also know that the government subsidized the Maza (do you even know what this is withput Goggleing it?). People are so poor that the goverment keeps the prices low or there would be revolution.

Sixthy- I don't know where you live, but travsling from the Guad airport to the city one would pass some of the most wetched unimaginable povert "shanty towns". Tell them you pretty gringo thoughts.

Seventh - I'm going out on a limb here but dollars to donuts, I suppect you live in a Gringo community, speak very little Spanish, and interact with Mexicans on a "it;s that so cute" basis.

Eightth - I highly doubt that you have spent time in the poor side of a larger mexican city, let alone even pass thru one. If you have, shame on you for your response, and if you haven't, shame on you for youe ignorant comment!

@MexicoAfterlife Degrading,
Discousure - I lived im Guad for 6 years in the mid to late 80s and my apartment was located among the locals - not a gringo conclavge. I also worked side by side with some Mexican friends-in some business ventures- without papers-because at least back then, the unspoken law was that it was "OK" as long as the gringo was working with Mexicans. I also speak a very respectable Spanish. ...oh, and I married mexican woman from Guad. Your ignorancde is shining thru already :-)
Now on with my response...
First, If do YOU not no what "Ni Modo" means in the context of mexican life, you are ignorant of the Mexican way of life and I am wasting my time in responding.
Second - I was telling the forum the one of the many resons why anyone would be a disgurtle worker
Third- You're right. the wages for most professions are crap, thats why there is the Super-Rich (check out mexico City) the VERY small middle class and then everyone else, THE Poor - thanks for supporting my post!
Fourth - Do you know what the mimimum wage is in Mexico? (I'll let you research that one on your own.) Do you know why so many family members live together - Because theur can't affors the rent on their own!!
Fifth - Do you also know that the government subsidized the Maza (do you even know what this is withput Goggleing it?). People are so poor that the goverment keeps the prices low or there would be revolution.
Sixthy- I don't know where you live, but travsling from the Guad airport to the city one would pass some of the most wetched unimaginable povert "shanty towns". Tell them you pretty gringo thoughts.
Seventh - I'm going out on a limb here but dollars to donuts, I suppect you live in a Gringo community, speak very little Spanish, and interact with Mexicans on a "it;s that so cute" basis.

Eightth - I highly doubt that you have spent time in the poor side of a larger mexican city, let alone even pass thru one. If you have, shame on you for your response, and if you haven't, shame on you for youe ignorant comment!
-@Johnny Earl

Glad to see your the self sanctimonious***** I thought you were. Every country has poor people. I once worked in a place in the USA the field techs carried sticks to test the ground because they used holes to shit in and ate nutra a form of rat.

I know the min wage because to get full time resident we had to match min wage x forgot. But I did all of our paperwork. So yes I knew the min wage before moving here.

Where I live everyone I deal with makes good money for Mexico. Wait staff might not make the hourly but make 100mxn in tip from every couple plus there wages. My cleaning worker's make the same pay a engineering worker makes in other parts of the country.

And we have made more friends with locals than xpats. I enjoy how they have such joy for life compared to alot of retirees who for some reason seem to hate anyone younger then themselves.

Go watch videos on YouTube from every major city in the USA.... Poor squaler is everywhere.

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : Inappropriate comment. Kindly be respectful to all members.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am Mexican National By birth although born in USA. I Ran a small web based business and hired a couple of people including one relative. I also hired people for domestic work.

I usually paid pretty well by Mexican standards.

By my experience they always expected weeks off at a time to be able to "go back to their pueblo for a while" , like when it was the time of the fair in their pueblo. This was in addition to Vacation time  in the summer and winter. They often even assume they should be paid while on vacation. They mostly expect not to work for most any holiday and often days before and after.

In general, most will show up late for work and think nothing of it. They often want to leave early and will want to leave for most anything they deem an "emergency" even if it is the fifth time their grandpa died.

Beware that there are expectations to pay Christmas bonuses and even paying more when you fire a person, or they quit.  There are many legal protections for employees in Mexico and the employees will always try to get more.

@rioesmarex

This is how they do it in Mexico. They also Mix the cement in the dirt and will use sand from the beach leading to other issues years later.

If you want quality YOU NEE TO WATCH THEM CONSTANTLY.

I had an employee quote a price to a customer in over the phone in Argentina and I had to honor that price . Lucky for me there was some other money to be made on that account so it was not a loss. The employee was dumbfounded that I honored the price, but the employee committed that price to customer and I felt obligated. That employee learned a valuable lesson that day.

Worth noting too that I sold services all over the world and had phone lines from places like Spain, Peru and Argentina.  Many Mexican workers did not want to bother with understanding these Spanish dialects till I pointed out to them that I did it already and in English and Spanish.

@MexicoAfterlife First, you didn't respond to your local knowledge of (1) Maza and (2) Ni Modo in their role in Mexican society, or (3) your level of Spanish, which allows you to have or not have a much better understanding in "talking" to the local people* and not just a "buenos dias"- (4) is it, el dia or la dia - which makes your viewpoint purely gringo or have a understanding of the mexican lifestyle for the MASSES,

The fact that you wrote, "Wait staff might not make the hourly but make 100mxn in tip from every couple plus there wages. My cleaning worker's make the same pay a engineering worker makes in other parts of the country." leads me to believe you live in a grigo community (5) correct? and you know NOTHING about mexican society outside of a service maid (it's obvoius, you dont, so no need to answer that one,

So unless you care to disclose your ability to understand the Mexican society by filling us in with your response to numbers 1-5, I'm afraid we will just have to consider the other an as*****

*A local mexican speaking to you in broken English is a world apart from you speaking a conversational Spanish with locals and hearing about their true feeling.

I lived and worked in Mexico for nearly 6 years.

I worked as a psychologist at a clinic. The most difficult thing to adjust to for me was payment for services and keeping track of payments. Working my own very small private practice, my clients paid at the time of session. Working for the psychological clinic, the owner was more of the mindset, don't worry, they'll pay. And, so, payments just came when payments came. That was a difficult adjustment for me. Paying bills doesn't work on the timeline of "don't worry, they'll pay when they pay....:" So, keep your bank account flush at all times, and save for those times that a client maybe doesn't pay for weekly sessions until 3 or 4 weeks out.

I suppose maybe the other adjustment was just adjusting to the slow moving, laid back culture. Nothing is certain, it will happen when it happens, and just be patient.... Beautiful tenets--sort of--but difficult to get used to. :)