Prefab homes

Has anyone checked out prefab homes? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I've been looking into this to see if it's worth building my home this way or is it best to find a contractor to build my home?

Can anyone provide insight on which way would be best and if you know the average cost of building a home by a contractor?

Has anyone taken out a loan with a credit union or bank in Puerto Rico? And was it difficult to get a loan?

Any information would help thank you

Google maps says maybe

There's a big movement towards alternative home styles. In places where storms, earthquakes, and other duff conditions are reasonably common, there may be advantages.

The other advantage is  a container home makes moving house a lot easier as you move the whole thing on a truck.

One rather good youtube saw a man using semi buried containers - The insulation was next level and storms are something other people care about.

A good old googling with a sprinkling of youtube might well inspire you.

EcoHomes USA of Puerto Rico

(2) · Prefabricated house companies

Caguas, Puerto Rico · +1 787-397-3852

Arvada Corporation

No reviews

San Juan, Puerto Rico · +1 787-559-0095

The Tin House

(17) · Custom home builder

3+ years in business · Aguada, Puerto Rico

@Fred, thank you for your info. I've thought of container homes as well. I will look into the web page links you mentioned, it wold be another alternative. Be well.

@judyvillacis

if you want prefab materials then just see what it made of before purchase...

If you would like to hear information about Hemp lime homes with two ways to impact the environment, outside and especially indoors. [link moderated] is my email. Website under construction..

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Fred thank you for your information. Well noted 

Another pre-fab option is Cube Building in Isabela, PR. I have actually been to their factory/warehouse and saw the construction. Basically the size of containers, but using welded/riveted steel frames fr skeleton, with walls, and ceiling added. They advertise delivery with the interior partially built out. Need flooring, kitchen cabinets and sink. Includes windows, utility connections, full bath, etc.

Thank you @rodfarthing. I will check their website. Nice to see there are options out there.

Speaking of pre fabric homes, has anyone used Casabella? Or has anyone know of anyone else that's used them.  Does one safe more $$ on getting a prefab structure vs new construction?  What would you say is a Pro and Con to utilizing prefab or modular homes?  I already have the foundation set as I'm looking to extend by adding a 2nd floor to existing structure.  Any helpful suggestions would be great.   Thank you. MaGz

@Fred, thank you for your info. I've thought of container homes as well. I will look into the web page links you mentioned, it wold be another alternative. Be well.
-@judyvillacis

Hello 👋 I am from HempHomZz in PR nothing like my houses 🏘 in PR yet. We are rolling out a pre-qualification process for the most ECO friendly custom designs for the Sustainable minded . If intrested reach out ***

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you

can anyone provide any information regarding CASA BELLA or CASA MI ANHELO

I picked Casas Mi Ahnelo because I like what they had to offer. The homes were bigger for the price, although you need to obtain a contractor, they do work with different contractors they can refer you to. I must tell you that they failed to tell you a good time frame , I have been waiting for my permit since April. Just this week I finally got my permit. Although I still have a few more things to do before I can actually start breaking ground, I give it about another couple of weeks or more depending how fast these government offices work (which I know they work like sloths, only worse).

I leave flying to PR next week to finalize everything. Unfortunately, they do not work like the people here in the states something I have to get used to.

As far as the interior finishes goes, I felt Casas Mi Ahnelo Work with better materials and finishes. I will keep you all posted when we break ground and the construction starts. Hope this helps

Yea I'd be interested in how that process goes for you, I was looking into them but didn't like that I had to hire the contractor. Does the company serve as the general contractor or what is their role? Please keep us posted

@PedroGarci casa bella is a pain to work with and they change prices without notice

@jillmedina

thank you for the head up. They was ask close to $2,000 to do a survey on the soil ground on my land

I bought even before construction could be done curious is that too high of a price for that inspection please reply. Who good reliable now to have your house build give me some connections.

Respectfully

Noel C

@Noel Cruz Secondary I paid half price for my survey. I tried to contact 2 other surveyors and they were a no call or a no show. The one I used was reliable. But I'm building on the north side (Camuy). I'm not sure where you are building. Let me know if you want my contact.

@jillmedina they provide you a list of contractors approx 3 that is close to area. I can provide you the list I was given from another prefab company.

its a very slow process to go this route. But I hope at the end I can forget all my headaches. lol.

I'm flying to PR next week to sign my contract with the contractor through an Attorney. I will keep you all posted on my journey. Good luck to you all.

@judyvillacis

hi not sure if you said you was going to send me info for the inspection survey if you do have reliable contractors send it my way.

thank

Noel

@judyvillacis

hi I'm building by Salinas

@judyvillacis yea please do!!!

@Adelaida Nunez Vazquez Hello, is there a website to look at more information for building hempcrete homes in PR? My husband and I would like to learn more.

@judyvillacis we felt the same! Casas mi Anhelo's materials and the owners professionalism was why we chose them.  Yes, PR is a lot SLOWER than South Fl but we already know that so we're preparing ourselves in advance, lol!

@judyvillacis Can i get your survey contact? Did your price also include marking the points on your property?

Hi Judy hope all it well here in the island as vaca business regarding so I'll be constructing my house who also before building just them as my surveyor

here the contact  casasmieden.com/

respectfully Noel

@Noel Cruz Secondary Salinas is paradise. Enjoy.

@Noel Cruz Secondary Are you building from ground up or pre-fab home?

@judyvillacis

Hey Judy!

Besides the delays, you seem to be experiencing, what is your opinion of the material structure of the bldg.  I've been vacillating, not sure if I should go the traditonal route or prefab. Can you share more of your thoughts. Was the process straight forward?  I'd hate to miss your response. My email: ***.  Thx, Pedro

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago

I would if you asked me. Go with ECO carbon sequestered materials that are Heat and cold temperature regulated like hemp lime binder.*** if intrested is sustainable building in Puerto Rico.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago

@judyvillacis Hello Judyvillacis: The thought came to mind, but we got lucky to find a solid home that was about 98% remodeled in our price range and bought it. The mtg. process was simple and we could have closed in 30 days which it was scheduled for but that same week our daughter fell in labor so we flew to the mainland to meet our grand child, a few weeks later upon flying back we closed on the house. That's I have to say.

Hi @judyvillacis!  Curious to know how things have been since you last posted?  We're about 2 stages behind you in the process.  We also went with Casas Mi Anhelo but are building in CABO ROJO.   Have you had any progress?

THANKS!! We will be following your process closely and REALLY appreciate all the great posts1f60a.svg

@judyvillacis so just stumbled across this post where are you at now in the process with Casa Mi Anhelo? and would you do anything different as far as choosing them? Who did you use as a contractor?

@Deedee40589

wow so sorry for my wow delay oh god i barely stop by here yea here and there  yea so the plan is officially retiring in may 2024 and next move the building can wait too cold in nyc and life styles here is boring so PR is where i want to be back home  thank you how ur maintaing

respectfully

Noel

Hi is anyone familiar with the private health insurance plans with MCS in Puerto Rico? We are checking out all of our options for coverage. we've checked out Triple S as well. I'm trying to compare prices and what coverage is provided. Any insight would be great.

Thanks

@nvme516 thanks for inquiring. Actually, the concrete will be poured over the roof tomorrow.   Although there's been hiccups, I would truly be happy when this It's finally done.  I must say my contractor and I have good working relationship. He sends me pictures as well as videos as he's progressing. I have made some changes in the house with no issues any minor details I find he has no issues changing them.

So far I have made six trips to check up on things.  I will be more than happy to share pictures with you so you can see the progress and we can continue this conversation.

@judyvillacis  That's great news!  Cant wait to see some pictures

@Deedee40589 Hello.  We are considering Casa Mi Anhelo for our residential project and are also located in Cabo Rojo.  May you please share your experience w/Casa Mi Anhelo especially the contractor aspect since Cabo Rojo is outside the "metro area".  Thank you!

Great choice they the one we choose from all our research builders we decided my family are doing all my run around like going down to cityhall but in PR to pickup the approval  for better infor read about your land at USDA.gov they have all land print  Respectfully Noel

@Noel Cruz Main would  love to hear about your experience so far.  i  got my roof up and next is stucco which started already. We hope to close our permit by July. It's been quite a journey so far.  It has not been easy but we only have to finish at this point.  For anyone interested to see pics or have any questions about Casas Mi Anhelo  send me a message. Good Luck!

@techdispatch congrats to you. hope you are enjoying your home.

Hi good hearing back glad all going well  so have you officially having your build by Casa Mi Anhelo

as i mention im having mine build by them  send me pictures curious to see  how it coming out send to either here or to my gmail 

Moderated by Bhavna 2 months ago

@Noel Cruz Main DM me and send me your Gmail email address it was blocked