Filipina Married to a Hungarian Citizen

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get some help who was in the same situation as me. I recently got married to a Hungarian Citizen, I am from the Philippines but currently in Dubai, UAE. My Husband visited Dubai and we got married here.

We are looking for visa options for me to be there with him and I found online the family reunification visa for spouses. Will that be applicable to us knowing that our marriage is yet to be registered in Hungary?

If anyone has a similar situation to mine I would like to know what are the steps and process and how did you obtain a Residence Visa.

I have a lot of questions because of the different and multiple information I found online too, would love to connect with anyone with a similar situation. Thank you

I am not or was in a similar situation, having said that if you are married there should not be an issue at all.

Honestly if your husband is Hungarian he should deal with this easily (not you).

Hou should not deal with this, just your husband, if you trust him (as you are married) do not worry I would say.

Really don't know all the options you have.

I am also married to a HU citizen and live in Hungary.

We had to go into our local city hall and register our marriage in Hungary.

We had been married for over 40 years at that time in the US.

I would have your husband call your closest HU embassy and ask them directly what to do.

They will wish to see all your documents so have them at the ready.

@Marilyn Tassy Thank you:)

Yes, I have all my documents ready and he is also trying to coordinate local agencies in Hungary but was advised to check the website but it doesn't have complete details. Anyway, I hope we can work it out soon so we can be together finally 1f600.svg

Really don't know all the options you have.
I am also married to a HU citizen and live in Hungary.
We had to go into our local city hall and register our marriage in Hungary.
We had been married for over 40 years at that time in the US.
I would have your husband call your closest HU embassy and ask them directly what to do.
They will wish to see all your documents so have them at the ready.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I echo all of that.

Any paperwork not in Hungarian and not issued in the EU would have to be translated.  It depends on being signatories to the various conventions on recognition of documents.

I'm also married to a HU citizen.  We have our marriage certificate (which is in English) and we had to have it translated into Hungarian.  It's got Hungarian coloured string on it, seals and is in a special format, special paper and was translated by OFFI - the official translation office.

OFFI is just a service now I believe. Previously one had to use it.  But I believe others are allowed to do it commercially and acceptable to the HU government.   Personally I thought all this paperwork was absurd but we've had to use that official translation multiple times over the years.   

I've noticed officials get  much more comfortable if faced with a stamped, sealed and official paperwork in Hungarian.

The thing is to be throughly prepared if standing at the desk. 

@cdw057 Yes, he is doing all the work aside from the documents that I have to prepare. Just wanted to be of some help 1f609.svg

Really don't know all the options you have.I am also married to a HU citizen and live in Hungary.We had to go into our local city hall and register our marriage in Hungary.We had been married for over 40 years at that time in the US.I would have your husband call your closest HU embassy and ask them directly what to do.They will wish to see all your documents so have them at the ready. -@Marilyn TassyI echo all of that.Any paperwork not in Hungarian and not issued in the EU would have to be translated. It depends on being signatories to the various conventions on recognition of documents. I'm also married to a HU citizen. We have our marriage certificate (which is in English) and we had to have it translated into Hungarian. It's got Hungarian coloured string on it, seals and is in a special format, special paper and was translated by OFFI - the official translation office. OFFI is just a service now I believe. Previously one had to use it. But I believe others are allowed to do it commercially and acceptable to the HU government.  Personally I thought all this paperwork was absurd but we've had to use that official translation multiple times over the years.  I've noticed officials get much more comfortable if faced with a stamped, sealed and official paperwork in Hungarian. The thing is to be throughly prepared if standing at the desk. -@fluffy2560Yes, we are working to have our marriage certificate to be attested where it is issued then after that we will have it translated. By the way, will he be able to register our marriage without both our appearances in Hungary? Our plan is, once our marriage is registered in Hungary then I will apply for Family reunification visa which is good for 3 years because if I will apply for a tourist then I may need to exit Hungary again to change my visa.

We didn't think it through ( never do) when we moved to Hungary.

My husband said not to worry about anything .

I enetered HU as a tourist and yes, if you do that be ready for some hassles.

I was actually sent a letter then that were going to deport me.

We went into immigration and paid fees for an extention for me until things were settled.

Stressful for sure.

It marred our feeling towards Hungary even to this day.

They wanted extra paperwork from us probably as a punishment for not getting a visa first.

It all worked out thankfully because we were very close to chucking the idea of living in Hungary and putting our flat up for sale.

I've been ,"legal" here for 13 plus years.

We also had to get our marriage documents translated into Hungarian.Ribbons and all.

They asked extra paperwork from us which is never given in the US without requesting it.

Never in the US for any reasons did they ever want the long form one fills out when getting a marriage license.

The long form included where my parents were born, their names etc.

It was a sort of hassle to get that from the city hall in the US while being here in Hungary.

Hi, we're you able to get the residence card ?

im in the same shoes as you are

I hope I am not too rude, but if you are married, your husband will take care of this.

Not trying to invent the wheel, take your husband/real estate agent, easy I would say (painful of course)

@cdw057 Spend a bit of money and things are finished (just my view). We moved to Turkey and a bit of money goes very far (if you know the right people)

@QAmore HIre a lawyer, or trusted local.