Open a certificate of deposit in Thailand

Good day

I have saved up some THAI baht and would like to invest it in a COD to gain interest. I have the following questions:

• Which Thai bank would be the best for this?
  • Which type of COD would be best to invest let's say 100K in baht with a holding period of 6 months?
  • What interest rate should I expect?
  • Can I collect the interest payments on a monthly basis?

P.S. I'm quite tired of my teaching job being my sole income stream so I'm looking for other ways to get a passive income. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good day
I have saved up some THAI baht and would like to invest it in a COD to gain interest. I have the following questions:
Which Thai bank would be the best for this?
Which type of COD would be best to invest let's say 100K in baht with a holding period of 6 months?
What interest rate should I expect?
Can I collect the interest payments on a monthly basis?

P.S. I'm quite tired of my teaching job being my sole income stream so I'm looking for other ways to get a passive income. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-@Yovaan Chetty

What do you actually mean when you say a COD? Do you mean a fixed deposit account = an FDA?

Hi Leeds. Yes, a fixed deposit would be an option. 

If 100,000 baht is what you're going to deposit in an FDA in a Thai bank, forget about it. The interest is way to low and you can't withdraw any money until the deposit have matured. We're talking about periods like 3,7,12 or 24 months. If withdrawing money before that time ends, the interest will be reduced to 0.2-0.5%. That's the interest you get for a standard savings account. So,making money monthly from interest is impossible. The whole idea with an FDA is making some money in the long run instead of parking money in a low interest savings account. You have to come up with a better idea.

@Yovaan Chetty I don't know how much money you have, but you're not going to get any decent interest off of COD or the Thai equivalent in Thailand. Don't even think about it.

I'm a tax lawyer here. If you have interest in keeping money offshore that will make you passive income, give me an email at *** and I can introduce you to a couple of bankers.

You don't need huge events of money for this. They are happy to start with small amounts.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi im thinking of staying in Thailand  5/10 years understand i have to deposit 3 million t/b into an account. will i be able to earn interest on this and can i take it out when i leave? i appreciate any help as requirements state i will need to transfer additional money monthly to live on so the 3 million will be held during my stay

You would be better off doing a non-immigrant O visa, then you only have to put 800,000 B in the bank and leave it there during your stay. Check if that is an option for you.

There are other ways to get the O visa and investment opportunities in property