Recent murder of expat in Las Terrenas …

Can anyone shed some more light on this please ?

Is Las Terrenas still being considered safe for expats ?

Thanks

I don't know the individual or the specifics of this particular case, however, I will say this…

There is absolutely no place that is 100% free of some level of violence, and none of us can control the impulses/actions of others.

That being said, exercising wisdom will always prove to be beneficial. Be wise in how you display and discuss your assets, how you pay for your purchases in and around town, who you allow into your life and how much you disclose, and be mindful of your surroundings.

I am a young, American female who has lived in Las Terrenas for almost 2 years, and I have never felt unsafe or had a safety issue. Unlike some, I don't believe you have to be suspicious of or unfriendly towards all locals, nonetheless, I firmly believe in exercising wisdom.

I have lived here for 1 year now and I am definitely starting to feel less safe.  This is the second expat murder in 6 months.  The last was another elderly gentleman who was followed and attacked with intention of stealing his social security money after cashing it.  Apparently, he put up a fight and was murdered and left in a ditch.  There have also been multiple armed robberies (gunpoint) here in the last few months as well as at least 2 separate incidents of dogs being shot in the process of a robbery.  The police force here was recently replaced as they were a young lot who sat around and did nothing all day long, however, I am not sure that the replacements are much better.  There are even less safe cities in the USA, but coming from a city in Canada, we are not accustomed to guns, murders and armed robberies.   Please exercise caution as this country, the government and the police force are all still very corrupt, so expect it to be very different here.  If you are prepared for this, then you will be fine.  Also, as above, do not bring expensive jewellery and don't carry a lot of cash, and don't go out alone after dark. A safe here is also not wise as this is what they are always looking for.... keep it with minimal items and open or unlocked.  Find another place for anything important to you.  Best of luck.

It has been my experience that most people who express safety concerns are those who carry or keep larger amounts of cash. That is not something I ever do, as I rely mostly on touchless pay. Not everyone's cup of tea, nonetheless, paying for the majority of my purchases with my phone/watch hasn't failed me yet and Las Terrenas has plenty of places that support that.

I am from a town in Oklahoma that is significantly smaller than Las Terrenas, and we are not accustomed to guns, murders, or armed robberies either. I often hear people speak of the corruption here as if they experience it in their day-to-day activities and if so, that hasn't been the case for me. It's always a good idea to understand the culture & customs of any area you reside in, and once again, I firmly believe if you exercise wisdom you will be okay.

@modaisky1971 Where in the DR do you live?

- Bert

Thanks for sharing your insights and perspectives everyone.

We don't want to make this move and always be feeling we are going to get broken into :(

Retirement is suppose to be relaxing and enjoying everyday, not continually looking over your shoulder wondering when our Villa is going to get broken into …

Common sense and not flashing money will go along way for sure. Just want to be happy in paradise :)

@BertEdens las Terrenas.  And contrary to the person's comments above, I never carry large amounts of cash and I sold all valuables before I left home and came with nothing. 

From The Telegraph (London Eng) this week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave your expensive watches at home or they'll be stolen, Chelsea and Mayfair shoppers warned

Public safety campaign launched by prominent online auction house in response to surging watch thefts in the capital

This  is  concerning all around!  So, first let me say we will keep this  discussion on track and not about any other place. Fair to say  crime is rising almost everywhere.

This is another case of  someone who was vulnerable being a target it seems.  In the news they spoke of his multiple rolex watches. Why does anyone know you have multiple  rolex watches here?  The lesson is to keepp things quiet.  What you have is no ones business.

There are a number of precautions to take so that you both appear safe and are safe. Many have been covered on here before. 

Rule number  1 for me,  be careful who you associate with. Who you tell things to!  Who you let in your private space!

@planner:  I suspect he brought the watches here to sell and spoke to the wrong people 1f914.svg

Could be!  Either way it attracts the wrong kind of people!

No, I think they were his....

https://deadline.com/2022/10/mario-oliv … 235158086/

Interesting report.  Either way it got him killed. 

I hardly think that one murder makes a town unsafe!

Can't think of anyone carrying multiple watches expensive ones at that unless he was selling them  maybe though he could get away with selling bootleg watches and the people caught onto him  , the deal went bad ….🤔

If you read the article he seemed to have lived a larger than life lifestyle.  Doesn't seem out of line he would have several expensive watches.  That alone will draw the wrong kind of attention.

From what we know he was robbed and killed for what he had.

A few observations about Las Terrenas in this context....

LT is a small town with a lot of poor uneducated residents.

In small towns people talk and everyone knows your business. If you think the locals don't know who you are you are mistaken.

I don't have stats to back this up but I would guess there are more Haitians crossing the border now. Some are, you guessed it, poor and desperate.

The crime rate is going to be inverse to the growth rate of any ecomomy (i.e. a bad economy generally results in more crimes). We have a slowing economy at present.

The local police force here has proven to be rather ineffective. The legal system here is also not entirely just or reliable.

The crime rate is increasing literally everywhere. I know this is a central campaign issue in the States now, for instance.

LT is a tourist area, and certain security issues come with this.

There are disparate economic life styles here. We have folks living in tin shacks and those living in million dollar villas.

LT has been known to be a quite safe place to be; however, with all of the above there is a certain degree of risk inherent with living here. I don't imply the crime is worse here. Rather my point is there is a different risk profile in a place like LT. It is just different and you have to be aware of that and adjust your behaviour accordingly.

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.

Lots to consider and think about for sure …

We we're originally thinking about residing in a gated community, then a hill top over looking the ocean, now considering a gated community again.

We just want to live in peace and happiness :)

Can someone list the gated communities in Las Terrenas for me please so I can check them out ?

Thanks

@Ian1272 this gentleman lived in a gated community with a few other villas, that also has an armed security guard.  It's important to remember to be guarded even within that community.  Don't share personal information with gardeners, pool cleaners, maids or security, and certainly be extra cautious with taking "strangers" home to your house. 

@Ian1272 Unfortunately, gated communities are only slightly safer.  There were recent robberies in Esperanza and other areas close by, that are gated.  Security needs to include a lot more.  It's a good place to start, though.  Often times, the gates are in the front, then the sides and beach areas are wide open for people to get in quite easily. 

All great info, thanks everyone for sharing. We have two Great Danes that we will be bringing down with us, very large, very protective of us, and their barks are ferocious. It is our preference to live up in the hills. My wife and I are homebodies so we won't be going out clubbing it or getting up to shenanigans.  We will figure it out.

Thanks everyone :)

All great info, thanks everyone for sharing. We have two Great Danes that we will be bringing down with us, very large, very protective of us, and their barks are ferocious. It is our preference to live up in the hills. My wife and I are homebodies so we won't be going out clubbing it or getting up to shenanigans. We will figure it out.
Thanks everyone smile.png
-@Ian1272

Off topic, and I apologize for that, but have you figured out how to bring them down with you?  The only way I've heard of it working is chartering a private jet for an awful lot of money, as that size of dog is not allowed on commercial flights?

We have good friends here in LT who had armed intruders on their terrace at about 5:00 in the afternoon. Our friends were both in full view of the would-be-thieves, but while one was screaming a neighbor's name for help, possibly making the robbers think someone else was in another room, the other hit the button to put the security shutters down. And while they don't recall, I'm sure their two greyhounds were barking their heads off. Once the shutters were down and they realized they couldn't get in, they left. They wore masks, but when they searched the empty house next door, in full view of the security cameras, they were not so careful. The police know who these guys are, but haven't been able to capture them. These friends live in a small gated community, but the residence is only walled on the street side. While gates might keep thieves in vehicles away, they don't always have a completely secure and guarded perimeter. The thieves walked right into the backyard of the neighbors house, from an unpaved beach access road, then climbed the chain link fence between the houses.

I have no idea if that incident is related to the murder of Mario Oliver.

As others have said, the important thing is to be discreet! Don't flash your money or possessions, don't develop habits of going to the bank at the same time each week, carry a fake wallet with an old ID and a small amount of cash that you can hand over if robbed, never carry more cash than you have to have on you and most of all, be careful who you trust!

All of that said, I don't feel any less safe here than anywhere else!

Hmmmm …

Denise, do your friends think they were targeted or the thieves  just picked an area ?

How common of a problem is this in Las Terrenas ?

Uncle Buck I will private message you about transporting Large Dogs from Canada to the DR.

No, they don't think they were targeted for any particular reason. The thieves knew they were home, which is why they wore masks. I think they were just opportunistic- having easily made it into the yard of the house next door, they realized they could just climb the fence to access the next house.

Ian,

I think your question is put in a way that attracts answers to support the fear/danger idea.

If you look at those responses, count them nad apply that count to the LT population, you might find it to be not a significant number.

Only you can judge that.

Bit it strikes me that the incidents are few......

Take stroll some night in the streets of LA, Phila or Chicago and report back.

What would have happened if he had a weapon (ie gun) and shot the thieves in this instance. What are the laws in regards to this?

I went to buy a waterfront property. The neighbor next door  told me 6 armed mens  assaulted him and the wife during the night. They took everything leaving them and the security guy tied with ropes. No need to say that the wife didn't allowed me to buy. I love the DR but the reality is that it's not very safe.

This is very upsetting.  You really need to take alot of precautions, and even when you do, things above can still happen.  I stay put normally on the east coast and there exists a lot of disparity too, with shacks on some of the same streets as very pricey condos.  Or shanty town just around the corner from gated community with security guards and pricy homes.  I noticed the security guard at the entrance to our area started carrying a gun. This is new.  He is very strict and often turns away people if they do not have their pass.  Still, it would be easy to overpower one security guard.  There are others too on our grounds but its a large area.

@willieweb yes my questions are feeding into fear/danger area, but what I am trying to determine if Las Terrenas is right for my wife and I.

Maybe a gated community is best for us. A gated community that helps alleviate to a large degree the threats of robbery.  I understand this latest killing of an expat happened in a gated community. I never want to put my wife through an armed home invasion/robbery :(

Our whole intention of retiring in the DR is to enjoy all the DR has to offer in our retirement years. Always worrying about being robbed, kinda takes the fun away of the adventure. I understand robberies can happen anywhere, in any country, but where we live in Canada, this is really not even on the map of concerns. I kinda had built up in my mind that Las Terrenas was different, and we could live in harmony with the locals and live a good life up in the hills minding our own business, enjoying beach days, enjoying going out to eat, making a couple new friends.  Enjoying the warmth and being able to swim everyday in our retirement years.

I have not given up on retiring to the DR, but I think I need to revise the plan a little.

Is anyone else having these same concerns, and what are you doing to revise your retirement plans in the DR ?

Scary stuff guys! Please take care of yourselves! Crime is up world wide. Here in the states is no picnic! You have to always be aware and stay to your selves everyone not just in LT. God Bless!

@Ian1272

This hasn't changed our plans or level of comfort here at all! We didn't bring any bling here with us - I wear a Fitbit, my wedding band, and stainless steel hoop earrings. I have some inexpensive and costume jewelry that I might wear if I dress up, but nothing that anyone would target me for. We aren't out partying at the clubs or bars late at night, etc.

Because we've built a home here, and then had pretty extensive hurricane repairs, we've had quite a few workers here. We are careful with who we hire, we don't have collectibles, artwork, or other valuable items on display, and every worker who has been here is well aware of the 60 lb (and growing!) Rottie and other dog that we have to keep locked up to protect them. Other than the owner of the construction firm who owns the mother of our Rottie and was one of her first humans, we don't let anyone get close to her. They all see her through the glass doors or when we walk her out on leash and they hear her bark!

We are not in a gated community, but we have a gate on the driveway and a fence surrounding the property. We didn't build a fortress because that only makes people think you've got a lot to protect! We also have cameras, some visible, some not, and other alarms and security measures.

While I never met Mario Oliver, the news articles explain that he was a nightclub owner in California. Between that and hearing directly from my friend who was one of his neighbors, that he routinely slept until noon, I have to believe that he had an active night life here and there were definite patterns in his behavior. He was walking distance to bars, restaurants and nightclubs and could easily have been followed home. I've been in his residencia many times while visiting my friend and the gate is a large vehicle gate without a pedestrian gate. Whether he was on foot or in a vehicle, someone could easily slip in after him. There is an armed guard, but if he walks the property, takes a pee break, falls asleep (it happens!), or is staring too intently at his phone, he'd never notice!

@ddmcghee

At the risk of repeating myself, thank you so very much to both you and your husband for sharing your knowledge, experience and insight with me, and everyone else who reads this board.

I have to admit, the last couple of days my thoughts have turned to maybe a gated community, some where else in the DR would be a better fit for my wife and I.

Your latest post was very assuring that we will be ok in Las Terrenas.  With you writing “ This hasn't changed our plans or level of comfort here at all! “  has contributed and encouraged me to stay on track with retiring to Las Terrenas.

This expat board has been a very useful resource, and I am thankful to all who I have had direct and indirect discussions with about the DR :)

Hoping everyone is having a great day :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti … -dead.html

I thought I'd post here that I own a small bungalow I'm selling after more than 15 years. I was half ex-pat for a while, before that I was here for vacations and renting for cheap to friends from NYC. Crime has always been an issue here and as someone mentioned, it's because it actually has more poverty etc.. and is "lawless" in many ways. I've had a great ride here! I love this part of the DR so much.

In my time here, I've noticed more Americans and Canadians. It's changing, slowly, to a great place to retire. When I first came here, it was because my French pediatrician in Brooklyn came here. Lots of French people! Lots of safe ways to live here, but poverty and guns and police who get paid very little is a thing.

Anyone from this thread interested in helping me sell or rent while I sell my house, it's about a five minute walk to the entrance to Playa Bonita. Please get in touch! I'd love to meet in person and talk all things LT.  I just went to Ria Dentist for a consultation. Thinking of getting some dental work done here instead of in the States.

I'm new on this forum, but old timer to LT, so excuse me if this should be cross posted, or posted somewhere else! Suggestions welcome how to navigate!

@ddmcghee

I didnt notice this suggestion before but this is a great idea worth repeating:

1f60e.svg

carry a fake wallet with an old ID and a small amount of cash that you can hand over if robbed

@Karin1 I basically did that a lot over the years- no id, some cash. My "DR" wallet. The thing is sometimes you need your ID, Passport for things- but then you know you need it! and you bring it.

Most of the crime is petty prime, but it's a real problem. violence isn't as common, but obviously very upsetting. In general, there was some advice that I agree with- everyone knows everyone and talks. Whoever works where you are, tells people all about you and what you got. trusting people is hard here. But I have met some good people in my 15 years.

@DominicanadaMike

He had money and I think his watches were just something he had collected over time…these

people who did this to him are thieves and criminals and live without conscience. They're simply looking for a quick payday at someone elses expense and it seems to me that the government isn't looking very hard for these people who took a mans life as if it were disposable and nothing…after all how hard could it be to find the murderers on an Island! It's unacceptable that those responsible for this horrific crime have not been brought to justice! Shame on those government officials in charge!