Owner's Manual New Motorbikes

Bought my second new bike today. The first bike is a Honda XR150-L, today's purchase is a Honda Airblade Black Edition.

In both cases I was not given an owner's manual. When I purchased the XR150-L, I was told by the dealer that the gov't agency responsible for new bike imports does not allow the manual to be given to the customer (WTH!?). Similarly, today I was told by the local Honda dealer that the bikes are not delivered to them with owner's manuals.

I found both the VN and the English editions of the manual for the Airblade and the English for the XR150-L online, thankfully (~150 pages each).

The opening line in the Airblade's VN manual states,

"Tài liệu này là một phần của xe, cần chuyển giao hoặc chia sẻ nguồn tài liệu khi bán lại."

(This document is part of the vehicle and needs to be transferred or shared when reselling)

The opening line in the English manual states,

"This document is part of the vehicle and needs to be transferred or shared when reselling."

Any other members who've purchased new bikes from a dealer have a similar experience, or did you receive the owner's manual?

@Aidan in HCMC i just bought a Yamaha NVX 155. it came with a Vietnamese owners manual only

@mike oz47

Good for you. You're further ahead than me! And that NVX 155 is a nice looking bike. I always liked Yamaha. How many pages in the NVX manual?

Maybe it's a Honda thing to not give new owners the manual? (Honda VN, I mean)

I have PDF manuals for both the bikes, but having the original printed manual would be my preference (esp. if I'm outside doing repairs/maintenance). Yeah, I could go to a print shop I guess.

@Aidan in HCMC

There are owner's manuals for most devices on line. What's the issue?

@Aidan in HCMC
There are owner's manuals for most devices on line.

Oh yes, I'm well aware of that.

"I have PDF manuals for both the bikes, but having the original printed manual would be my preference (esp. if I'm outside doing repairs/maintenance). Yeah, I could go to a print shop I guess."

What's the issue?
    -@jimmythepipe24

"This document is part of the vehicle and needs to be transferred or shared when reselling."

So then, where are the manuals?

Every new vehicle manual I have ever owned is printed on high quality paper, in book form.

It is also a "+" to have if/when it comes time to sell.

@Aidan in HCMC im guessing it's between 50-75 pages. There is also a warranty/maintenance booklet

@Aidan in HCMC

I bought my second low mileage used Kymco

( Kymco made engines for Honda for years -  maybe still does, and their own bikes are every bit as good as Hondas, but Vietnamese wary of anything not mainstream, and avoid them)

Same story -  previous owners never got an owner's manual!

The last owner didn't even know where the battery was, or how to open the seat - need a 10mm socket to open… Dealer no have either !

I don't even know how to programme the speedometer cluster…?

We also have newer Honda and Yamaha in family - ditto.

I'm curious as well, if anyone else knows why this bizarre situation exists?

Nice bike Aidan. I was about to buy a 2024 AB 160 SP when they (Honda dealership) said I could get it in my name with my VN DL and my 3 year marriage TRC. But after they called around and then said it would be very difficult and time consuming. So I didn't buy and am still thinking about it and probably will once again put it in my wife's name. Sorry no advice from me on your situation.

@MikeTVN

Thanks. I like it very much. Only 12 kilometres on it so far, as I've no plate for it yet.

You are probably better off not having a bike registered in your own name. Take a quick read through this thread for details on an "NN" (foreigner) issue plate.

If you have occasion to drop in at the dealership again, ask to see the owner's manual for the bike. Would be great to hear back about your experience with that.

I was told something similar when i bought my Datbike Weaver++ but they also have an app that connects to the bike and it has a built in owners manual in the app (VN and English).

On a side note I may also get an airblade 160 just because Vietnam is so aggressively anti electric now when it comes to apartments allowing charging. Its so weird. You see electric cars and bikes everywhere but I would say 19 out of 20 apartments out there absolutely wont allow them. Drives me nuts. The ADV 160 is an extremely attractive upgrade over the airblade but kinda hard to justify double the price for the imported version.

@MikeTVN
Thanks. I like it very much. Only 12 kilometres on it so far, as I've no plate for it yet.
You are probably better off not having a bike registered in your own name. Take a quick read through this thread for details on an "NN" (foreigner) issue plate.

If you have occasion to drop in at the dealership again, ask to see the owner's manual for the bike. Would be great to hear back about your experience with that.

-@Aidan in HCMC

I went back but to buy the Honda Vario 160 in light gray instead. I like having the two places in front one for a drink and the other for a phone and charger. It came with a manual of sorts if you can call it that. It's a one page, two sided fold out sheet with the basic pertinent info there. And no mention on it or from the dealership about using it for resale. None of it is in English. The bike is the VN version. Also I opted for having it in my wife's name and I should have the plates on Monday which would amount to about 6 days from purchase. I'm going back tomorrow to get the warranty paperwork and ask clearly about the resale and manual you speak of. And I will report the result here.

@MikeTVN

Nice scooter, and with a 160cc it will definitely be quick!

I got the same fold-out, in a clear plastic button-shut envelope.

Got mine plated just a couple of days ago, GF's name.

You might try bringing these with you when you visit the dealer.

Vietnamese 2023 Vario Owner's Manual

As in both of my bike's online manual(s), the very first line for your Vario states(in VN!),

"Tài liệu này được xem như một phần không thể thiếu của xe và cần được giao kèm theo xe

khi bán lại."

(This document is considered an integral part of the vehicle and should be delivered with the vehicle when reselling.)

English 2023 Vario Owner's Manual

Same opening line.

I'm beginning to think that Honda VN just might be able to sell new owners the manual for their new scooter (which should have been provided with the bike). I got zero warranty papers, which I'm currently pursuing.

Oh, and the new Air Blade is missing the under-seat document pouch (shown in its manual grrrrrr!)

Check to see whether yours is there.

@MikeTVN
Nice scooter, and with a 160cc it will definitely be quick!
I got the same fold-out, in a clear plastic button-shut envelope.
Got mine plated just a couple of days ago, GF's name.

You might try bringing these with you when you visit the dealer.

Vietnamese 2023 Vario Owner's Manual

As in both of my bike's online manual(s), the very first line for your Vario states(in VN!),
"Tài liệu này được xem như một phần không thể thiếu của xe và cần được giao kèm theo xe
khi bán lại."
(This document is considered an integral part of the vehicle and should be delivered with the vehicle when reselling.)

English 2023 Vario Owner's Manual

Same opening line.

I'm beginning to think that Honda VN just might be able to sell new owners the manual for their new scooter (which should have been provided with the bike). I got zero warranty papers, which I'm currently pursuing.

Oh, and the new Air Blade is missing the under-seat document pouch (shown in its manual grrrrrr!)
Check to see whether yours is there.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Yes your are correct. I didn't go back yet but I see the empty space for the original manual under the seat.