Looking to moving to Cyprus within the next 3 to 5 years

Hi I am Kerry,

I am looking to move to Cyprus within the next 3 to 5 years.  A long way off you may all cry, but as someone who in August 2004 decided to move to France and was there by the December 2004, 2 children under 5 and I knew no French 1f602.svg.  (moved back to the UK in 2012)

I want to do things properly this time - so I am reading everything asking lots of questions and I plan on maybe even renting at first. 

This will be my last move I hope - and I want to make the most of every year I have left!!

Kerry xx

Welcome to the forum... Search for what you want first and if unable to find recent answers ask away anything you want but try to ask specific question per post as that will get more appropriate and targeted answers.

Just be aware in 3-5yrs the responses may not be relevant anymore ... Things have changed a lot in the last 4 years making it much harder to relocate here

@Toon

Hi Toon,

I am also a fellow geordie - currently living in Benton near killingworth and Gosforth.

Thanks for the reply, I've started early as it does appear to be a bit of a mine field.  One quick question if you don't mind. 

Am I understanding correctly that as long as I have enough money per year to live on i can apply for residency, my annual income would be made up from salary from self employment in the UK (that i do online) and from my private pension.  Then from 67 state pension and private pension.  I have read the following:-

"A certain yearly income for themself plus extra

for extra applicants. As of 2024 that was at least €9600 for one applicant plus around €4600 for each dependent person. This income must come from abroad and can be from salaries, pensions, rents and stock shares. "

cheers

Kerry

Welcome !! Good luck with the plans. As Toon says ask away but be aware things change by the minute lol However, good to have some idea of what to expect. I recommend you rent. A pain to be throwing the money away each month but at least you can think of it as an investment in the future.  Buying the wrong house could tie you down for a long time if you need to sell.  Have a good look at the area you are interested in and if in a complex ask the current people there how it is run and how happy they are with the complex. If you have a UK passport check out the recent posts regarding immigration requirements. The big kicker for some is the cash you will need to deposit in a Cypriot bank for the time it takes to get the immigration completed. Once completed you can take the money out but need to show monthly income.

@phildraper

aww thanks Phil, defo will rent first - can i buy while waiting for immigration to go through or is that not allowed and for info I am looking between 50 to 90k now where near the 300k for immediate status x

@kjr1205

Sadly those figures are old visa figures and usually relate to Cat F and very few or  none of those have been issued since 2018/19.. plus whilst.waiting you must now have a pink slip which means much higher financial requirements and healthcare cover via private until you get to a retirement state pension age and thus a form S1

Might be a good idea to create a new post specifically for this matter

@kjr1205 Hi, I am also a fellow Geordie and moved out here in 2022, even since then the immigration rules have changed and as Phil says they appear to be a moving feast.

On the income side, you need an annual income of at least €28,800 for a couple this must all come from outside of Cyprus (Pensions, Rental Income, Interest payments etc.).

If you plan to work remotely for a UK company you need legal advice from an immigration lawyer and probably speak to a tax advisor to understand any tax implications.

If you are not eligible for an S1 document, you will need medical insurance when you attend your immigration appointment. When you apply for your first temporary residence permit you need around €30,000 (Based on my experience, others may have a different view) in a Cypriot bank account for immigration and around €8,000 on renewal. Ignore the income numbers on the Cyprus Immigration pages, they are outdated.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board Kerry !

Please note that this new thread has been created from your posts on the Cyprus forum for better interaction.

All the best

Bhavna

Wow!!

Thanks for the info so far and now I am glad i am looking at this so far in advance as it may not even be possible!.

Can you guys direct me to somewhere with more update info re income and pink slips etc

Thanks in advance

x

If you use the search function here for pink slip it will give you a feel for what is required

@kjr1205 Since Brexit it has become increasingly more difficult to move here. The income requirements alone seem to be causing a lot of people problems. Added to this as a Third Country National you are unable to work here unless a Cypriot employer can sponsor you.

As stated the immigration rules for TCN have already changed recently and I understand that immigration may be changing the income requirements at some point in the future.

I wish you luck in coming here, in my view I feel it is worth it.

In adding to the above .. it can be an anxious and frustrating time to go through the immigration process and would advise to get on board with an immigration law

yer or assister/fixer/agent it will help manage that.

Well worth the money in my view as is relocating