Confused About Visa/Permit Requirements

Hi

We're planning to relocate from the UK to Antalya this summer and I've been doing a lot of reading about visas (and getting advice from amazing people on this forum!).

We're planning to spend at least the minimum $200,000 on a property, and apply for a residence permit via that route.

My family consists of myself, my wife, and our four kids, one of whom is 21 years old.

Query #1: Would we need to apply for a separate residence permit for our 21yr old? And if so, is the fact that she'll be living with us as a dependent be sufficient, as she won't be working/study in Türkiye (at least not initially)?

Regarding income, I have a consultancy business in the UK which allows me to work remotely. It's a limited company owned by myself and my wife, and we pay ourselves through a combination of salaries and dividends. The business' clients are in the UK.

Query 2: Would we need to apply for work permits in addition to (or instead of) residence permits, if we continue to operate the business as described above? If so, how would we do this if we are our own employer?

Thanks in advance (this forum is fantastic!).

Hello Hanif, I live in Antalya and I congratulate you on your decision. I don't want to mislead you, but I wanted to share it in case it might be useful for you.

"If foreigners who own real estate request a residence permit, the real estate must be residential and used for this purpose. In addition, if family members have shared or joint ownership rights on the house, family members can also apply for a residence permit in this context. Family members refer to the applicant's spouse, minor child, and dependent adult child." In this context, you should apply for a separate residence permit for your child, or joint ownership could be a better solution.

All the best

Alper

@alpersezer79

Hi Apler

Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your expertise.

I'm assuming my 21 year old would be classed as a "dependent adult child".

Would we need to apply for separate residence permits for every family member, including minor children, or is there a type of family permit that would cover everyone?

Also, do you happen to know what the difference is between "shared ownership" and "joint ownership"?

Thanks again,

Hanif

@Hanif_O

I would suggest you visit the following websites as there is a wealth of information regarding resident permitting:

The first website gives a general purview of the residence permit process and answers a lot of FAQ.

The 2nd website provides information on the required documents for the application process. 

The last website allows you to start the application process.

https://en.goc.gov.tr/residence-1

https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/Ikamet/IstenenBelgeler

https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr

I bookmarked these websites as I will also be starting the process for applying soon.  Good luck.

Gino

@Gino_C

Much appreciated Gino! 🙏

Are you in Antalya already and about to go through the process, or still abroad and looking to make the move?

Wishing you the very best!

Hello Hanif, You're very welcome.

Actually, the term "dependent adult child" refers to a person who is disabled or in need of care. So, you, your wife, and your minor child (if you have any) can apply with one file. But your adult child should apply separately.

And also for Querry 2, I talked to my accountant, and she said that you would need a work permit if you want to continue to operate your business in UK.

All the best

Alper

@alpersezer79

Alper - Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

@Gino_CMuch appreciated Gino! 🙏Are you in Antalya already and about to go through the process, or still abroad and looking to make the move?Wishing you the very best!   

Hello Hanif,

I will be moving to Turkey in about 2 years after my son completes his college education.  I am retired so no work permit issues to deal with.  We will be settling into Eskisehir as we can't stand hot climates.  It does get cold in the winter. 

I want to make you aware of an issue I encountered with getting a residence permit (ikamet) through investment.   The application requirement is that the deed (Tapu)  has to show an investment of at least $200K as well as the appraisal (Değerleme Raporu) which is generated by first an appraiser (Ekspertiz) who subsequently submits it to a governmental control agency called GABIM which generates the final appraisal.  GABIM has historically lowered valuations by a large margin from the original.  For the property I was looking at, GABIM's appraisal was 17% lower than the original valuation which put it below the $200K threshold.  The methods used in my report was greatly flawed.  I did purchase this property for reasons I detail below.

There is pressure on Mehmet Özhaseki who is the Minister of Environment, Urbanisation and Climate Change to revoke the GABIM requirement in the near future because foreign property investments has slowed considerably in Turkey due in large part to GABIM and which in turn is hurting the large construction companies and the general economy.

Since I haven't moved yet, I haven't applied for the residence permit yet.  I still have time.  Should the GABIM requirement be revoked, I will submit for a new appraisal.  Even so, property values are rising, so hopefully appreciation will work in my favor.  If not, then I will apply for a tourist residence permit.  During my last visit in Turkey, I was introduced to an expat from Belgium who has been living in Turkey trouble free on a tourist residence permit since 2008.  She advised me that I should have no problem particularly since I do have a deed for a property exceeding the $200K.

Lastly, I would advise finding a very good real estate agent or an attorney who is well versed in dealing with expats.  I am working with a real estate agent who is a close family friend.  If you have any questions on details, you may PM me.

Good Luck and enjoy your new life in Turkiye!

@Gino_C

Thanks again for your advice and insights.

Based on what you've said, it would definitely make more sense for them to do away with the GABIM requirement and look solely at the purchase value. It would absolutely heartbreaking (and financially costly) for foreign investors to go through the whole process only to be denied the residence permit due to the lowered valuation!

I'm hoping we'll be OK as we're going to be looking for properties in the region of $250,000 - $270,000.

I know someone who moved from London to Antalya a couple of years ago and he's put me in touch with his real estate agent. My wife and I are flying out there in a few weeks' time to meet the agent, check out school options and perhaps try to find a good immigration attorney too.

I have a couple of close friends who still live in the UK but do property development (apartment buildings) in Istanbul, and they have some good connections that I'm hoping I can call on.

Thank you for the offer of further advice, I may take you up on it. :)

Wishing you the very best with your move when it happens - and am amazing couple of years until then!