1st time in Bangkok

Planning a vacation in july/August.  If I like it (which I'm sure I will) I would like to rent/buy condo in near future. I'm single and will  be 65 in November. I plan on retiring soon after.  What are some steps I should follow to get the process started.  Visa, condo shop , etc etc.

@r3152f7794

Read the most recent threads, it has been all discussed and explained before.....

Put some effort into your goals.

Learn as much as you can about the types of VISA's that are available for your situation along with the requirements needed for each . Don't assume that by listening to just one person you will get all of the answers that you need. Everyone on this forum are well meaning but each person has slightly different experiences depending on which immigration office they go to.

This is probably the best Visa guide I've found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm1CYhv … onaJourney

In that video he says that you apply for the Non-Immigrant O visa in Thailand (and the A outside of Thailand). Incorrect.

You can apply for the O both inside and outside of Thailand. I think more people apply outside.

He also says you should put 800k in a bank account but doesn't mention what you need to open a bank account.

@rbakker

Good input, thanks

@rbakker

Follow up question, isn't it better then to apply for an O visa from one's' home country as opposed to a 60 day tourist visa that would be converted later? I'm thinking if it makes opening a bank account any easier?

"Follow up question, isn't it better then to apply for an O visa from one's' home country as opposed to a 60 day tourist visa that would be converted later? I'm thinking if it makes opening a bank account any easier?"

I think it's easier so that's what I did - applied from my home country.

It seems you can go to Thailand on a tourist visa and then apply for the O there but I don't know all the rules for that. I suppose it makes sense to do it in Thailand if the Thai Embassy in your home country makes it very difficult to apply (like the one in Australia).

As for opening a bank account, I doubt they would let you do that if you're in Thailand on a tourist visa so you'd have to wait until you get the O anyway. No benefit there then.

@rbakker

Sounds like a catch 22 then as you need 800k in the bank for two months to apply for the O Visa.

I've asked around on a danish fb group and applying for the O Visa at the Thai Embassy in Denmark seems like the way to go. I think I just need to proof I have enough funds when I apply, and sort the Thai bank account and 800k for two months after I get to Thailand.

It's not a Catch 22. You need 800K in a Thai bank for two months for the one-year extension of the O visa.

To apply for the O visa in your own country you often need to show you have at least the equivalent of 800k baht in your own bank account in your own country.

" I think I just need to proof I have enough funds when I apply, and sort the Thai bank account and 800k for two months after I get to Thailand."

Exactly. After you get the O visa in Denmark you go to Thailand, rent a condo, open a bank account, deposit 800k, wait two months, apply for the 1-year extension.

@rbakker

Thanks a lot for this information and confirmation.

I'm finally beginning to get some confidence that I understand the rules and that this can all go smoothly, highly appreciate the help given here :)

I had a lot of help here too, so I'm just paying it back!

I went through the same process. It seems complicated but in the end there were no problems.

@rbakker

"Exactly. After you get the O visa in Denmark you go to Thailand, rent a condo, open a bank account, deposit 800k, wait two months, apply for the 1-year extension."

I assume the O visa is 60 days and I will need to get a 30 day extension, or is this a misunderstanding and it's 90 days from the start?

@JonSt

@JonSt

-@martinoo2002

Perfect, I'm so ready now :)

One year to go and I will be there

Does one need an onward ticket when entering on a 90 day O visa?

@JonSt

No

Just backing up what martinoo2002 said. The initial visa is 90 days on arrival and you don't need an onward ticket.

You don't need insurance either but of course you should have travel insurance (they don't check for it but it's best to have it).

Within that 90 days you need to get a bank account opened and put 800k in there for two months so you have to do that as soon as possible, certainly within the first 30 days. I managed to do it in a week.

Thank you both so much for the good advice in here.

Visa plan:

•    Buy ticket to Thailand, onwards ticket not needed.

•    Acquire documentation for owning at least 800k from your bank, plus other documents needed for the visa application such as copy of passport biodata page, a recent picture (passport type), copy of ID showing your name and home address, copy of ticket to Thailand.

•    Apply for a 90-day non-immigrant O e-visa through the local Thai embassy website.

•    Once in Thailand, find a place to stay for minimum 3 months and get documentation for address from landlord.

•    Establish two bank accounts, a separate one for the 800k.

•    Once the 800k has been in the bank for two months, go back to immigration and extend the visa to a one-year non-immigrant O visa.

•    Repeat next year and so on.

That's pretty much it. You could go to your local Thai embassy website and see exactly what they want from you (it's different in every country) by pretending to apply for a visa and filling in everything but not submitting. Just so you know what to expect.

I was not asked to provide proof of my ticket, I just had to say when I was arriving. When the e-visa was issued it said I had to enter Thailand sometime within the next 3 months (I think), they didn't mention what date or flight I had said. So you have flexibility there.

The last step you have to repeat every 12 months. But they also want you to check in with Immigration every 3 months to show what your current address is. I haven't done this yet but it seems it can be done online (after the first time).

Indeed John, cant do the e-visa, so much easier