Health Insurance

Hello all,

I am a 62 year old Canadian  male who is in the process of moving to Cambodia to retire. I would appreciate any thoughts, experiences and advice on acquiring health insurance. Thank you in advance for the help.

It just depends on your income. Health Insurance in Asia can be expensive, if you go for packages that include access to hospitals in other countries or repatriation. It is certainly available, but will cost more as you get older - insurance is a business, not a public service. Many retired expats "self insure", in other words they hope that nothing too serious happens and they can afford the occasional visit to a medical clinic. Its a risk, and if you can spare several thousand dollars a year then insurance is the way to go.

Hello. Regarding health insurance, you have the super worldwide coverage by reputable international groups, it will cover you fully, for every risk, but the premium will be 2 or 3k US$ a year. I am a Frenchman, also came to Cambodia to retire, it was over 4 years ago, I was 55. I was personally looking for something more affordable, even if it meant a lighter coverage. My choice to start with went for a Travel insurance, 2x12m. It did not cost much, and it covered me nicely (including lenses or visits to a doctor/dentist). After that, I could not renew with them as I could no longer be considered a traveler - indeed. Few brokers exist here but I like to avoid intermediaries if possible. I made some research and chose to go with Safety Net Standard by Forte, a company locally established in Cambodia. It has been my Insurance since Nov 2021. Price is about 600usd/y, goes up a bit each year with age. It covers essentially your expenses if you need to be hospitalised (incl Cancer, etc..., incl overseas). They reimburse at 90%. They have a network of hospitals in Cambodia and overseas where the payment would be direct by them. Dental or Optical are not covered. I am mostly healthy and found it a 'good compromise'. I deal directly with a person at Forte. Send me a pm, if you want the info, or other details. Cheers

Hello my name Jens , live in phom penh ..Im very interested in talking to the person you mentioned.

Thanks for answer

Jens

@Fred Cambo

Forte good to go, and in Cambodia they pay your bill direct

@Fred Cambo

Hello. Thanks for replying Fred. I am definitely interested in the contact info for this company. As I don't feel comfortable ”self insuring” as some people do and can't afford some of the crazy premiums some providers are quoting I have come to realize I will have to compromise on what level of coverage I will get. The cheapest I've been able to find is about $200 USD/month for a fairly low level of coverage all the way up to as much as $700 (!) for a comprehensive policy. My research shows that the typical smaller health costs are manageable out of pocket so really I'm looking for a safety net against the more serious problems that could arise.

Thanks again for reaching out with this and hope you have a good day……Lorne