Evening entertainment

Any thing else to do in Phnom Penh apart from eating or drinking

Hello SailirJ,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Will you be there for a long run or just a quick visit?

If it is a brief stay, you might want to explore cultural activities like art exhibitions.

Hopefully, fellow forum members can suggest enjoyable activities beyond dining and drinking.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@SailirJ what do you normally fo for entertainment in your home country?

Bowling, crazy golf

I am in Siem Reap,  there is plenty to do here, but you need to make a few friends first.

@Cheryl

I am here long term, retired (sort of£

If you are living in Phnom Penh, I'd suggest visiting museums and historic and cultural sites around the city. There are beautiful temples you can visit for free. I did a few walking before and enjoyed it. You could start from some place like Wat Phnom and then walk to Central Market and see the downtown area around the market. There is a nice mall next to Central Market. I think it is called Soriya Mall. From there, you could visit the Orussey Market.  Another nice visit that I have walked to from downtown is Russian Market. The area around the market is a nice walking tour. Lots of small cafes and pubs, shopping areas, and a nice American BBQ place tucked into a corner we went to numerous times.

The museum is a nice visit too and from there you could make it to Independence monument and make it to the first Aeon Mall easily. The second mall is outside of town a bit. A Khmer friend took me in a tuktuk there years ago.

You can do this on your own or with google maps as a friend. Just plot out the places. I walk every day so I always wanted to do walks about 5 miles long. Some of it is challenging in the city with traffic and no sidewalks or sidewalks blocked. I lived in Hanoi for years so kinda got used to it. I also would go the opposite way and walk the riverside walk down to the ferry boat pier. From there you can cross over an older bridge to an island that I forget the name of. I used to go walk around the island there too just to see how they were developing it.

Finally, I did enjoy eating and drinking in the city. I did move to Siem Reap this time because of the nice infrastructure here for doing stuff. SR improved sidewalks and roadways during the pandemic.

I also used to take a tuktuk for the day in Phnom Penh and ask the driver to show me the city. We often just cruised around and he would stop at random places he thought I would like. Sometimes we ended by me buying him lunch and a beer and then he'd drop me off by the riverside.

If you like to go take the road by the government buildings and where the railroad office is and just walk straight out to the university. Take any road that goes in either direction. Get lost. Stop for a coffee. I did this numerous times in PP. Getting lost is getting found.