Rental leases

I know different areas or people may provide different terms but is below the standard in general?

1. 6 month lease
  2. 3 month security deposit and one month claimed to be one but kept by owner and not in the lease
  3. Must paint the apartment on departure of lease

Not sure if anything else has been left out.

Here in LT, we never had to pay more than one month as a deposit and it was always returned at the end of the lease. We did one 12-month and one 5-month lease.

In Las Terrenas , I have paid 1 month deposit and two months deposit. So I do not think the scenario you are describing is the norm. I have always told the person from whom I am renting that I need to send the lease to my lawyer in Santiago. Honestly I tell them this just so that they know that I have a lawyer in the DR. Take photos of absolutely everything in the rental. The front door to the number of glasses.  One time I failed to photograph the curtains in the living room and they claimed I was responsible for their not too clean condition.

@DRVisitor

POP..

6 month lease. ( normally one year ) but in touristy areas you can get short-term rentals and they jack up the price.

3 month security deposit and one month claimed to be one but kept by owner and not in the lease ( first + last + value of one month) you can call it a security deposit if you like, they even do it with no furniture.

Must paint the apartment on the departure of lease - hah careful here never had to do this, but the duenos will normally paint with the cheapest paint they can find upon renting to someone. I have rented two places here and have never had to paint.

1. Make sure you negotiate especially if there is no furniture; here's an example renting a place for 18 when it was listed for 20. Rented a place for 37 when it was listed for 40 ( not gringo prices )
  2. Careful - make sure you make it super clear you want it back and read the contract really well and it has to be with a lawyer otherwise a napkin agreement has about the same bond here. When you move it point out every defect, little scratch, little tile dent everything! or they will keep your whole deposit. I had a friend lose his 50k peso deposit over a chip in the wall that he didn't even do; 50k is a lot and they will milk it if you're not looking.
  3. Paint after they give you your damage deposit back. Word advise if something breaks i.e you break a door knob just buy it yourself; not worth the hustle.

If you get the ads on FB marketplace use your Dominican phone number with a non-avatar pic of you if you want to save money; my friend is a dueno here and tells me all the time how fresh gringos pay 850 USD a month for something he rents 700 USD to a Dominican.

That is not normal nor legal.  Two month deposit and first month up front is more normal.   Normally you leave the place in the same condition you received it.  If they painted just before you take possession then sometimes you will need to paint, but not after 6 months. 

If that is the lease you signed you are bound to it.  I would not sign that lease.  Always have and keep proof of payment!

Hmm, I have seen a few leases this way. How do brokers get paid who handle these leases?

They should be paid by the owner of the rental.  The person renting should not pay as the agent does not work for them.

Here is my experience:

My base is in Punta Cana and the 12 month rental leases I signed always had 3 deposits to get your key.  Most try to say you have to pay for the lease legal costs, which is not very much but I always refuse and tell them they can keep their rental, I will find another.   I came to know over time that one deposit is a real security deposit, that you will get back provided there is nothing missing and no damages... the 2nd is the first month rent, and the 3rd is used to pay the agent commission (for the person who brings the tenant to the landlord). That is why there is a 3rd deposit. Ofcourse the agent (person who finds the apartment and assists you) will never admit this to you because they always pretend to be your best friend, trying to find you the best place for your money.  And they ask you to join them for lunch or dinner (they might bring their family too) and then they expect you to pay the bill. Nope, I will pay my share. 1f609.svg I dont fall for that trick but it happens. This has been my experience. 

About  the paperwork for the lease, I find it odd that the notary of public statements by the signature on the lease, says they signed the lease in my presence, and they swear this is the truth.  This always bothers me because its never true, I never see the notary of public who signs this, which is a member of the court.

Karin

@Karin1

At least you have seen similar as me.

@planner

I wonder if the illegals owning property problem you mentioned in the other thread will result in changes in lease terms? I know a lease is a rent, not a buy. But renting to a party for a term that assumes an overstay might not be allowed? I've never rented long term. I don't know if they owner is required to check a tenant's status ...

If you rent an apartment for long term, it does not matter if you are using it on a 30 day visa, as long as you pay your rent, regardless if you are in it or not.   I always travel back and forth and this allows me to travel without a suitcase and to have everything I need in the apartment.   I cant see them changing this for any reason other than to collect more money from us.

Once someone gave me trouble with my visa was when I tried to open a bank account and the girl looked at the passport entry stamp and said to me, well, we cant help you because you have to go home in 2 days and the processing time takes longer.  I asked her if she was immigration, trying to do their job?  When I go home or how long I stay is none of her business.  I asked her to open an account for me regardless of how long I chose to stay or when I go home.  I had cash with me and I wanted to deposit it.

Since she refused, I asked her to provide me her name, the bank manager name, and both email addresses. I asked the bank manager if this is how he treats all his new clients, because that is a sure way to get rid of them. When the manager saw my email he immediately apologized and told me to come in that they will do a better job when I return to open the account.   I didnt go back to them as first impression does count (to me). 

Where know what the govt may do.  Currently it's illegal to transport illegal people.

As to the bank, they are following the law.  You must open and process the acct while your status is legal.

@Karin1

when i first started coming here i used to rent for six months and i only paid first month rent and one month security ,    maybe because it was only for six months.

plus i never rented in a big apartment complex either

like you i just wanted to get off the plane w/a news paper in my hands… have everything here waiting for me

That is common in tourist and expat areas. 

When we rented a few years ago, we were asked for copies of our cedulas. There had been articles about cracking down on those housing or transporting/renting vehicles to those here illegally. I think it was likely targeted toward Haitians and Venezuelans at the time, but we had to provide it to the property management company.

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Please create your advert in the Housing in Dominican Republic section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

So still wading through a ton of info. We would be renting at first to make sure we wanted to stay before we decided to buy (if ever). One of the allures to us is that if something happened to the property (i.e. like hurricane damage) we wouldn't have to worry about it, but then something I read indicated that may not be the case, as the renter you may still be required to pay for the damage. If true it would just change the type of insurance we would buy. So, is that really a thing or did I completely misunderstand? (I can understand that if we damaged something we would have to pay to get it fixed.)

As a renter you are not liable for damage out of your control.  You are liable if it's something you caused.

@planner Thank you, I was hoping that I had misunderstood what I read.