Transport in Bangkok

Was only there for 2 days but quickly worked out the best (for me anyway) was bus and grab car. I avoided grab bike though as seemed too dangerous (most passengers riding without a helmet and drivers weaving in and out of heavy traffic). Avoided the Tuk Tuk's. Prices are inflated for eg one guy wanted 300 baht for what cost me the previous day 120 Baht in a grab car. Also a Tuk Tuk driver offered me quite a reasonable price one time (40 Baht) but after I accepted he proceeded to tell me that we need to make a stop at a tailors store so he can get a fuel voucher ("no need to buy clothes, just look is good for me"). I told him no and caught the bus for 13 Baht to Phaya Thai train station. I didn't bother with taxis. I have trust issues at the best of times so prefer to keep my anxiety levels to a minimum :)

What struck me the most though is the Tuk Tuk driver could have made some easy money (possibly half his fuel for the day) but let it slide. What would be great though is if they put a Tuk Tuk option on Grab.

Was only there for 2 days but quickly worked out the best (for me anyway) was bus and grab car. I avoided grab bike though as seemed too dangerous (most passengers riding without a helmet and drivers weaving in and out of heavy traffic). Avoided the Tuk Tuk's. Prices are inflated for eg one guy wanted 300 baht for what cost me the previous day 120 Baht in a grab car. Also a Tuk Tuk driver offered me quite a reasonable price one time (40 Baht) but after I accepted he proceeded to tell me that we need to make a stop at a tailors store so he can get a fuel voucher ("no need to buy clothes, just look is good for me"). I told him no and caught the bus for 13 Baht to Phaya Thai train station. I didn't bother with taxis. I have trust issues at the best of times so prefer to keep my anxiety levels to a minimum smile.png
What struck me the most though is the Tuk Tuk driver could have made some easy money (possibly half his fuel for the day) but let it slide. What would be great though is if they put a Tuk Tuk option on Grab.
-@Guestposter822

Bolt is cheaper than Grab in Bangkok. Taxi is only an option when taxameter is available, but never during rush hour downtown. Tuk-Tuks are for tourists and for Thai people who always gets a better deal.

Interesting - we use tuk tuks as novelty transportation or when there's no choice (e.g. when Bangkok traffic is so gridlocked that they're the only credible option).

I found the Bangkok MRT (metro/train) to be the fastest, most efficient way to get around if you know where you want to go and there's a station within a reasonable walking distance.  Riding the metro helps us maintain low anxiety levels, one of your stated goals, by allowing us to learn about the city without depending on drivers.  We don't speak or read Thai, so it's also an exercise in developing situational awareness and strategies for navigating the city.  We haven't tried the bus system yet, but did use the metro quite a bit over past visits (we're moving to Thailand next week).

We eat our own dog food:  we use metro/train and buses in pretty much every major city where we live or visit (London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, DC, Zürich, NYC, Beijing, Mexico City, Tokyo, Bangkok, Oslo, you name it) if it's available and works well.

Good luck!