Pros and cons living in Sri Lanka

@Julien

Hi

My name is Shirmila, and am thinking of a move from South Africa, possibly remote work and flexibility.

Any advice would be useful.

What's living in SL like? Pros and cons?

Rgds

Hello Shirmila,

Welcome on board !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Sri Lanka forum so that expats members already there can help you by providing some feedback.

Maybe you could learn a few words in Sinhala to ease your stay.

All the best

Bhavna

Pros: Beautiful country, great climate, friendly people.

Cons: It is still a third world country - so you don't get all the comforts and the availability of goods as you would in a first world country.

It would also depend on whether you come with family and young kids or if you are coming by yourself.

@ Cecil

Thank you for your response.

I am intending to come alone. Any advice on inexpensive rental options. Colombo seems very pricy. Good areas 5km - 10km out of city centre?

Is it easy to extend your visa?

Regards

Shirmila

You will have greater flexibility if you come alone. At the same time, be cautious that you don't get cheated by anyone. Most people are nice but you also get a few bad hats in any country. Places like Kotte, Nugegoda and Rajagiriya offer cheaper rental options. Feel free to private message me if you need more advice.

@cecil_r

How do I private message you?

Rgds

S

Hello Luhar0104,

Sending a private message is a straightforward process.

Simply click on the person's avatar/profile picture, and you will be redirected to their profile. From there, click on "Send a message."

And that's it! The message is on its way.

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl

Thank you 😊