Viettel cancelled my SIM card

I bought a second SIM card to be used mainly for receiving OTP codes. Yesterday I found out they cancelled it and sold my number to someone else because I didn't make a call for 2 months.

I was busy and not thinking about it. It would have been nice if they had sent me a warning message that it would soon be cancelled if I didn't use it. But I guess that's expecting too much.

Is it any different with the other companies, Vinaphone, Mobifone, VietnamMobile? Do they all have same policy?

Also, one of the things I dislike about Viettel is their promotions they send me are always in Vietnamese and there's no way to request they send them in English.

Any suggestions?

I tried several. My favorite is Vietnamobile.

They got a pretty good English app that shows you till when your number is valid.

As long as you make sure to top it up before expiration it stays active.

I top it up 60k a month and get an unlimited data package.

Never use calls/sms.

I've had mine since 2017, and even when I was outside of VN during Covid times I kept it active by topping up minimum amounts using ding.

Disadvantage are the sms messages in Vietnamese, same problem as Viettel..

Just ignore them works well for me.

I bought a second SIM card to be used mainly for receiving OTP codes. Yesterday I found out they cancelled it and sold my number to someone else because I didn't make a call for 2 months.
I was busy and not thinking about it. It would have been nice if they had sent me a warning message that it would soon be cancelled if I didn't use it. But I guess that's expecting too much.
Is it any different with the other companies, Vinaphone, Mobifone, VietnamMobile? Do they all have same policy?

Also, one of the things I dislike about Viettel is their promotions they send me are always in Vietnamese and there's no way to request they send them in English.

Any suggestions?
-@ChoculaD

It's hit and miss with Viettel.  I come back every three months and one time it is still active and the next it is not.  If not I just get a new SIM.  It's only an extra 40k so I don't worry about it.  When I am there I call everyone on Zalo anyway so I don't have to update anyone on my new number so it's just a means to get data service for me.

RCP79, is topping it up the only way to keep it active? Or can you just make one call or send one text? If I open it with, say, 20K and don't top up because I'm not using it for anything but receiving OTP codes, do I still get unlimited data? Incidentally I read one review on the net that said Viettel Mobile's internet is much slower than the other companies, but that still might be okay if it's a good deal.

@SteinNebraska , well I paid 50K for the Viettel Sim card and now to get a new one they will only sell it as a promotion with data for 150K. I don't need the data and I'm mad that they cancelled my card, so want to try a different company.

@ChoculaD

Speed is 4g, not sure if it's slower than others but I have no complaints.

This is inside HCM, the few times I went out of town, quality varied but was still ok.

I took a data package though the app.

They offer multiple ones with data, call, sms, international, etc.

Packages are monthly, so for it to be active you need to top up with the same amount.

(I use my bank app: 1x 50k, 1x 10k, no idea why there is no 60k option..)

If you unsubscribe from the data package you have no data.

But if you top it up with let's say 20k a month, that money theoretically should remains there till you use it again.

Now here comes the mysterious bit:

That money disappears, I contacted customer service, but they will tell you the don't speak English.

So I have no idea why and gave up trying to understand since it's less than a dollar a month..

Also the validity of the number is not connected to when you did the last top up.

Mine now says it is valid till 21-12-2024!?, I guess due to the many pop ups I do since I live in Vietnam now..

I stopped thinking about it too much and thought by myself: welcome to Vietnam :)

Let's say I subscribe to one of the 360 day viettel plans, and I can't use my SIM card because I am away from Vietnam for a few months. Does my SIM card get cancelled for non-use by Viettel even if my 360 day viettel plan stays active? A cheap 360 day plan is only $5 or so.

I tried several. My favorite is Vietnamobile.
They got a pretty good English app that shows you till when your number is valid.
As long as you make sure to top it up before expiration it stays active.
I top it up 60k a month and get an unlimited data package.
Never use calls/sms.

I've had mine since 2017, and even when I was outside of VN during Covid times I kept it active by topping up minimum amounts using ding.

Disadvantage are the sms messages in Vietnamese, same problem as Viettel..
Just ignore them works well for me.

-@RCP79

How good is this unlimited data package? Speeds..etc?